Tillandsias, also known as Air Plants to most of us are plants that have furry scales on their foliage that take up water from humid air and gather nutrients from air-borne dust! They live on air, hence the name.
Tillandsias have grown in popularity over the past few years, they are extremely easy to care for, come in varying shapes and sizes and can be placed in almost any container, making it easy to accomodate any space that needs a little green. Another wonderful aspect of these plants is they occasionally surprise us with a bloom in strong purple or pink tones and their unruly leaves change in colour when exposed to bright sun.
Whether your Tillandsia has a home inside a vintage jar, or in a hanging glass terrarium (as seen below), the life span of your plant depends on you. For this reason we thought we would share some care instructions so you can create the ideal environment for your Air Plant.
- Always have a small amount of water at the base of your container for humidity.
- Never allow your plant to sit in or touch the water for long periods.
- Every 2-3 weeks take your plant out of the container and submerge it in water for a couple of hours.
- Place it back in the container and enjoy.
- Proper air circulation is very important so never seal a terrarium.